Movie Quotes from Joy Luck Club, The: Quotes from the movie Joy Luck Club, The
(1) So what did your mom said when you told her about the wedding (2) It never came up (3) Why not? (4) She rather get rectal cancer
(1) This dish is not good…not flavor enough, but…please, try (2) You know Lindo, all it needs is some soy sauce
1) Do you know what you want? I mean, from him? 2) Respect. Tenderness. 1) Then tell him now. And leave this lopsided house. Do not come back until he give you those things, with both hands open.
1) Forty dollars.. (2) oh total? (3) each…what you don’t have enough? (4) No, it’s just that..I’ve never really been good at math….. so what if I had a salad and he a three course meal, we were equals…
1) I always knew you were a jerk, but, shit, this is the first time in my life I’m ashamed of you. 2) How dare you use that language! I think you’d better apologize right now! 1) I’m sorry, Mom, you made a fucking asshole out of yourself in front of the woman I love!
1) She needs a cut and a perm, Trevor. And that hair color of hers, it’s from that cheap dye she’s been using at home. God forbid she pays to get anything professionally done.
2) Why should I pay? Why should I pay 90 dolla? To act like you? Go to fancy barber with torn up jeans.
1) So my mom sees this mirror at the foot of our bed and she goes, ‘ay ya, a mirror there is bad luck. All the romance will hit the mirror and then boom go the opposite direction’ 2) So, what did you do? 3) Well, we moved it. 4) Yeah, put that baby right on the ceiling.
1) Well, we both decided it was time to settle all the property stuff. 2) Both? 1) Yes, both, absolutely. 2) What you gonna ask for? 1) What are you talking about? 2) I’m talking what you’re worth.
1) What’s her name…is she beautiful? 2) I think we should sell the house. That would be best. If there’s anything you want, you know, anything, just ask and– 1) What’s her fucking name!
Ted I’m listening.Rose It’s not your fault, none of it… I was the one who told you that my love wasn’t good enough, that your love was worth more than mine… I was so full of shit.
All around this house I see the signs. My daughter looks but she does not see. This is a house that will break into pieces. It’s not too late. All my pains, my regrets, I will gather them together. My daughter will hear me calling, even though I’ve said no words. She will climb the stairs to find me. She will be scared because at first her eyes will see nothing. She will feel in her heart this place where she hides her fears. She will know I am waiting like a tiger in the trees, now ready to leap out and cut her spirit loose.
dis cannot continue. dis not knowing what you are werf
Do you know what you want? I mean, from him?
Person 2: Respect. Tenderness.
Person 1: Then tell him now. And leave this lopsided house. Do not come back until he gives you those things, with both hands open.
Even at that age, I knew I had an amazing gift: this power, this belief in myself, to be better than anyone else. If someone was bigger than me, older than me, it didn’t matter. And if they were mean, I could make ’em sorry.
From that day on I slept with my husband…just like brother and sister
I could see her face looking at me but not seeing me. She was ashamed, so ashamed to be my daughter.
I don’t know why I’m saying this…I knew who you were when you came up to me. I’ve seen you for weeks, just like the other girls do. And I was glad and flattered when you came on to me, so we had dinner and I baked you this pie only I don’t know who you are. I know what your parents are and what they do and suddenly I’m wondering if I should be having this conversation. I don’t like feeling that way…
I like being tragic, Ma. I learned it from you.
I LIKE being tragic, Ma. I learned it from you.
I told them the matchmaker had made the wrong match on purpose, just for money.
I wish I were dead! Like those babies you killed in China.
I’m sorry you made a fucking asshole out of yourself in front of the woman I love!
It all happened so fast…our wedding…our son. By then I knew the kind of man I married. Happiest when he was cruel.
It was an old tradition. Only the most dutiful of daughters would put her own flesh in a soup to save her mother’s life. My mother did this with her whole heart even though my grandmother had disowned her. This is how a daughter honors her mother. The pain of the flesh is nothing. The pain you must forget. This is the most important sacrifice a daughter can make for her mother.
Lena…when you buy charcoal you have to buy lighter fluid. Don’t you know that, do I have to remind you every time?
LENA: Why do you have to be so goddamn fair?! HAROLD: What is this about, exactly? LENA: I don’t know…it’s everything. The way we account for things, making it even when it’s not. I’m sick of it! HAROLD: You’re the one who wanted the cat! LENA: What are you talking about? HAROLD: All right, if you think I’m being unreasonable, we’ll both pay for the fleas. LENA: This isn’t about fleas, that’s not the point. HAROLD: Then tell me, what is the point. LENA: It’s just….we need to change things. We need to figure out what this marriage is based on….not this balance sheet- HAROLD: Well, I know what this marriage is based upon, and if you don’t, then I suggest you think about it before you start to change things.
That bad crab, only you try to take it. Everybody else wants best quality. You, you thinking different. Waverly took best quality crab. You took worst. Because you have best quality heart.
This feather may seem worthless. But it carries with it all my good intentions.
This one moment would decide for my whole life whether fear would rule or I would. I decided. Underneath I knew who I was. I promised myself never to forget.
Three O’clock piano time.
True. You cannot teach style. June is not like Waverly. Must be born that way.
WAVERLY: I’m never going to play chess again! You can’t make me. You can torture me all you want, I still won’t…..did you hear what I said??!!!
Where are my grandsons, huh? My son says he’s planted enough seeds in you to fill a basket, plenty for ten thousand grandsons! It’s all your fault, always running around, letting my son’s seeds spill out. From now on you lie in bed all day. Lie down! Lie down! Until my grandson comes! Do you hear me? Disgusting little thing!
Why do you use me to show off? If you want to show off, then why don’t YOU learn how to play chess
Why does my daughter think that she is translating English for me?
you do not know the power you have over me. One word from you, one lookand I’m 4 years old again, crying myself to sleep, cuz nothing I docan ever, ever please you
You don’t know the power that you have over me. One word from you, one look, and i’m 4 years old crying myself to sleep again because nothing i do, nothing i’ve ever done was good enough for you.
You smell really bad! I think your gay.
You want me to be someone I’m not. I’ll never be the kind of daughter that you want me to be.
You’re not taking my house, you’re not taking my daughter, you’re not taking any part of me, because you don’t know who I am. I died sixty years ago. I ate opium and I died for my daughter’s sake. Now get out of my house!
Page Topic: Movie Quotes from ‘Joy Luck Club, The’: Quotes from the movie ‘Joy Luck Club, The’