June 23, 2008. NOTE: We put this post up last year- a collection of some of the best and most inspired quotes and jokes by George Carlin. The term “comic genius” is thrown around a bit too much, but he definitely earned the title. That we won’t have more brilliant thoughts coming from him is sad. That he has left such a rich and provoking and funny body of work- that is a gift. Thank you George Carlin. You will be missed.
Here are the top 50 best George Carlin jokes, quotes and one liners from his stand up routine. It wasn’t easy to narrow down the hundreds of great lines from comedian George Carlin, but these are 50 of his funniest, most thought provoking and sometimes controversial lines.
1. Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
2. Swimming is not a sport; swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!
3. A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff.
4. Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?
5. If the Cincinnati Reds were really the first major league baseball team, who did they play?
6. Honesty may be the best policy, but it’s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
7. If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
8. It’s never just a game when you’re winning.
9. The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done."
10. The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.
11. Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.
12. Weather forecast for tonight: Dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.
13. If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
14. Why do croutons come in airtight packages? It’s just stale bread to begin with.
15. “I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that “I do" is the longest sentence?
16. As soon as someone is identified as an unsung hero, he no longer is.
17. The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.
18. When someone asks you, “A penny for your thoughts," and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?
19. Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?
20. Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do “practice?"
21. I don’t like to think of laws as rules you have to follow, but more as suggestions.
22. Eventually, alas, I realized the main purpose of buying cocaine is to run out of it.
23. Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car."
24. I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.
25. Beethoven was so hard of hearing, he thought he was a painter.
26. Don Ho can sign autographs 3.4 times faster than Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
27. If Helen Keller had psychic ability, would you say she had a fourth sense?
28. What year did Jesus think it was?
29. George Washington’s brother, Lawrence, was the Uncle of Our Country.
30. Have you ever wondered why Republicans are so interested in encouraging people to volunteer in their communities? It’s because volunteers work for no pay. Republicans have been trying to get people to work for no pay for a long time.
31. In America, anyone can become president. That’s the problem.
32. Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
33. People who ask, “Can I ask you a question?" Didn’t really give me a choice, did ya there, buddy?
34. Bowling is not a sport because you have to rent the shoes.
35. Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
36. I’m always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I’m listening to it.
37. The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.
38. Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.
39. So far, this is the oldest I’ve been.
40. Do you think Sammy Davis ate Junior Mints?
41. When you think about it, attention-deficit order makes a lot of sense. In this country there isn’t a lof worth paying attention to.
42. The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
43. I think I am, therefore, I am. I think.
44. If the cops didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!
45. Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.
46. I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights.
47. What was the best thing before sliced bread?
48. Life is a zero sum game.
49. I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.
50. The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
Page topic: Top 50 Funny George Carlin quotes, jokes, sayings and one liners
11 Responses to “Top 50 George Carlin jokes, quotes, sayings and lines””
June 25th, 2008 at 12:37 am
Man, I’m going to miss ole George. He’s the only realist who has sense enough to put humor behind his ideas.
June 25th, 2008 at 6:07 pm
good jokes, i really enjoyed them. I like his joke about how a house is just a place to keep stuff in, thats classic.
June 26th, 2008 at 11:27 am
The comic genius of George Carlin will be sorely missed. A mind like his only comes around once in a lifetime. He forced us to think, and to laugh at ourselves and the world around us. Thanks, George, for the many years of tears of laughter.
[...] doubt anyone has ever had a better understanding of how much humans lack intelligence than George Carlin. His wit and sarcasm would be even funnier if part of us weren’t concerned he might be right. [...]
Most “George Carlin” quotes floating around the internet (like the one Kevin gave) are not actually from Carlin. As Carlin said years ago on his website: if it’s not from one of his albums, books, or HBO specials then chances are he didn’t say it.
Having said that, most of the quotes on this list of 50 can indeed be verified from an album or a book, though even then the wording isn’t completely correct. I still see 15 or so that I don’t think are from him (7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 18, 20, 21, 22, 28, 33, 35, 47, 50). But at least the list is more accurate than the countless bogus “George Carlin Quote” lists out there.
August 13th, 2010 at 10:15 am
His vulgarities were hilarious but his pompous moral pronouncements were cheap shots.
COMMENT (Not all comments are approved, including rude comments and those with strong language).