1) Can you picture me in charge of a regiment? Picture me in charge of anything. 2) I would be honored to have you. 1) Well, then your an idiot.
1) Congratulations. 2) I’m not sure I’m wantin this Colonel. I know exactly how you feel.
1) Good morning, Major. 2) Sir! Formed and ready sir! 1) How many are left?
1) Hey, look here Snowflake. I ain’t got nothin to learn from no house nigger, you hear? 2) I am a free man, as was my father before me. 1) Oh, you free. 2) Yes. 1) Oh, good. Well, why don’t you move your free black ass on outta my space fore I have to bust it up.
1) Hey. Hey old man, where from? 2) Massachusetts. 3)Oona march better than we. Oona march like the buchra soldier. 2) I beg your pardon? 4) He says we march like white soldiers. 1) Even talk like the buchra soldier. 2) where you from? 1) Oh, round about here. We were slaves in the field when the Yankee man come. Say we soldiers. 4) How you like the army, contraband? 3) Oh, we love it. We tank the Lord every day for the good vittles and these beautiful clothes. Tell true, old man. This year, every day like Kismis. 2) Like what? 4) Like Christmas.
1) How do we look Colonel? We gonna whup the secesch? 2) Hey boss, when do we get the blue suit?
1) I ain’t fightin’ this war for you, sir. 2) I see. 1) I mean, what’s the point? Ain’t nobody gonna win. It’s just gonna go on and on. 2) Can’t go on forever. 1) Yeah, but ain’t nobody gonna win, sir.2) Somebody’s gonna win. 1) Who? I mean, you, you get to go on back to Boston, big house and all that. What about us? What do we get? 2) Well, you won’t get anything if we lose.
1) I understand you were at Antietam. 2) Yes. 1) A great and a terrible day.
1) I was so proud when I heard. 2) They had no choice, all the other officers were dead.
1) So, uh, how was your meal? 2) The remoulade was a trifle tart, but the souflee for dessert more than made up for it.
1) The boy’s your friend, is he? 2) We grew up together, yes. 1) Let him grow up some more.
1) W-w-wonder when they gonna give us the blue suit. 2) Ain’t no blue suits for the black soldier. Blue suits for the white soldiers. 1) Well, we soldiers now. 2) Where you from, field hand? 2) South Carolina. 2) South Carolina. Well, you ought to know better than that boy.
1. Tear up those papers!
2. If you men will not accept your pay, then none of us will!
A good man can fire three aimed shots in a minute.
a good soldier can fier 3 rounds in one minute
Ain’t much-a-matter what happens tomorrow but… we’s men… ain’t we? We’s men
Anythang ya don’t wanna do, do colored troops will do for you…!
Cant you see he’s a mute? A what? A mute.
Come on, dream. I’m waitin on you.
damn we be eating cold cornbread
Dear mother, I hope that you are keeping well and not worrying too much about me. You musn’t think that any of us are going to be killed. For they are collectiong such a force here that an attack would be insane.
Dear mother, the men learn very quickly. Faster than white troops it seems to me. They are almost grave and sedate under instruction and they restrain themselves. But the moment they are dismissed from drill, every tongue is relaxed, and every ivory tooth is visible, and you would not know from the sound of it that this is an army camp. They must have had to learn this from long hours of meaningless, and inhuman work to set their minds free so quickly. It gives them great energy and there is no doubt that we will leave this state as fine a regiment as any that has marched.
Dummies and field hands. Ain’t that a bitch?
For God’s sake you march like a bunch of crippled old goats!
For God’s sake, come on!
Get up off me, snowflake!
Give ’em hell 54th!
He a weak white boy, beatin’ on a nigger make him feel strong!
He’s a weak, white boy and beating on a nigger makes him feel stronger.
Hey boy take your hands off of the white lady!
I ain’t much for prayin now. Uh, I ain’t never had no family…killed off my mama. This feels funny. Well, I just-um…you know, y’alls-y’alls-y’alls the onliest family I got. And uh, I love the 54th. Ain’t much matter what happens tomorrow, cause we men ain’t we? We men ain’t we?
I mean, a colored soldier stop a bullet just as good as a white one! And for less money too! Yeah! Uncle Abe got hisself a real bargain here!
I want them to know we went down standing up.
I’ll see you in the fort Thomas
If I shall fall today, please remember what goes on here.
If I should fall, remember what you see here.
If this man should fall,who will carry the flag?
In accordance with President Lincoln’s wishes, you men are advised that the Confederate Congress has issued a proclamation. It reads: ‘Any negro taken in arms against the Congederacy will immediately be returned to a state of slavery. Any negro taken in Federal uniform will be summarily put to death. Any white officer taken in command of negro troops shall be deemed as inciting servile insurrection and shall likewise be put to death.’ Full discharges will be granted in the morning to all those who apply. Dismissed.
Lord, we go into battle tomorrow. So let me fight with a musket in one hand and the good book in the other. So if I should die by a musket(rifle), wheter it be in water or on land; I know that Jesus is with me.
Nigger soldiers! Nigger soldiers!
Nigger, is you a old man or is you a old woman, I forgit!
OH MY GOD! PLEASE DON’T CUT ANY MORE, PLEASE! PLEASE!
Oh, I like it when niggers talk good as white folks.
Poor nigger forgot to duck, that’s all.
Rawlins: I ain’t sure I’m wantin’ this Colonel. -upon Rawlin’s promotion to SGT MAJ.
Shaw: I know exactly how you feel.
Stripes on a nigger.If that aint like tits on a boar.
Stripes on a nigger?? Just like tits on a bull.
Thank you for sending my volume of Emerson. His words come home to me like truth. ‘A deep man,’ he says, ‘believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart’s blessing can heal, and that love can ocercome all odds.’
That’s all right. Bosses are all up to Division, planning the next disaster.
there like a bunch of baby monkeys in blue suits for god sake they need controling
There’s a rumor going around that we’re to be used only for manual labor. I can’t believe the kind of things we hear. It’s not true is it? I mean about not being allowed to fight. The men are all living for that day. I know I am.
There’s more to fighting than rest sir. There’s character. There’s strength of heart. You should have seen us in action two days ago. We were a sight to see. We’ll be ready, sir. When do you want us?
Theres men dying up that road.
They’ve made me captain, of which I am enormously proud.
This sorry piece of work is Haggis. He writes vouchers.
This time we must make it a WHOLE country for ALL who live here so that ALL can speak. Before this war began, many of my regiment had never seen an negro. Now the roads are choked with the dispossessed.
W fight for men and women whose poetry is not yet written, but which will presently be as enviable and as renowned as any.
Want to fight me boy?
We ready, Coloniel
What are you? So fulla hate you just want to go out and fight everybody cause you been whipped and chased by hounds. Well, that might not be livin, but it sure as hell ain’t dyin. And dyin’s what these white boys been doin for goin on three years now. Dyin by the thousands, dyin for you, fool. I know cause I dug the graves. And all the time I’m diggin I’m asking myself, ‘When. When O Lord is it gonna be our time?’ Times comin when we gonna have to ante up. Ante up and kick in like men. LIKE MEN! You watch who you call a nigger. If there’s any niggers around here, it’s you. Smarth-mouthed, stupid-ass, swamp runnin nigger. If you ain’t careful, that’s all you ever gonna be.
What are you? So fulla hate you just want to go out and fight everybody cause you been whipped and chased by hounds. Well, that might not be livin, but it sure as hell ain’t dyin. And dyin’s what these white boys been doin for goin on three years now. Dyin by the thousands, dyin for you, fool. I know cause I dug the graves. And all the time I’m diggin I’m asking myself, ‘When. When O Lord is it gonna be our time? Times comin when we gonna have to ante up. Ante up and kick in like men….. LIKE MEN! You watch who you call a nigger. If there’s any niggers around here, it’s you. Smart-mouthed, stupid-ass, swamp runnin’ nigger. If you ain’t careful, that’s all you ever gonna be…..
What you been doin since then? I an for president. Didn’t win though
What’s the matter, too much punch? I mean, I know how much you’d like to make colonel, but a colored regiment? You know how popular that would be? Handing out guns to 1,000 coloreds?
Where you going boy?To get paid ten dollars is a lot of money.
You cant do that.CantI? Im a Colonel and your a major nasty little cuss.
Page Topic: Movie Quotes from ‘Glory’: Quotes from the movie ‘Glory’